How To Replace A Bathroom Fan Light: A DIY Tutorial
Here, you will learn the step-by-step procedure on how to replace a bathroom fan light combo. Let’s begin.
How Do I Replace A Bathroom Fan Light?
Before actually replacing bathroom fan with fan light combo, assess it first and decide on what to replace it with. If you want a quieter fan in a large bathroom, choose one with sone rating under two and a high CFM or cubic feet per minute. For small bathrooms, the CFM may not make much of a difference.
Once you have bought the appropriate replacement, follow these steps on how to replace bathroom fan with light.
- Prepare your toolbox.
- Turn off the power source of the bathroom fan light. Or, shut down the main circuit if your circuits do not have labels. If you need to turn off the main switch, you will need to use cordless power tools.
- To access internal wirings, detach the fan cover by removing the screws. If there are no screws, there might be a button that could pop off the cover. Or, you may pry off the cover by using a flathead screwdriver.
- Keep the fan cover and screws in a safe place.
- Take your voltage tester and check the wires. There should be no live wires before you proceed to the next step.
- Once you are sure that all is safe, remove all wires from the housing.
- If your unit is plugged into an outlet above the ceiling, disconnect or unplug it.
- If it’s not plugged into an outlet, you may see wires with plastic connectors. Take off these connectors so you can separate the wires and remove the unit.
- If your unit is attached to a junction box, unscrew the cover and separate the wires.
- Disconnect the vent pipe.
- Then, remove the housing of your vent fan. Remove the screws. If you need to access it from the attic, ask someone to hold the vent fan from the bathroom.
- Take the replacement unit and check if it fits the ceiling hole. If it is smaller, you need to patch the drywall around the fan to make it fit. If the new unit is larger than your ceiling hole, trace it with a pencil and cut the drywall with a knife.
- Install the new fan in the same position as the old one. Use the screws and brackets included in the unit.
- Connect the wirings of the new fan light to the circuit breaker box.
- Insulate the wirings with high-quality electrical tape.
- Connect the exhaust hose to the new unit. If your new fan light comes with a new duct tube or adapter, use it for this purpose. Or, you may buy a new one that will fit your new unit.
- Then, clean the new fan light with a damp cloth. It might have collected dust during the installation process.
- Turn the power source to check if your fan light works properly. If not, turn off the power source again and check the wires.
How to replace a bathroom fan light combo may not be as simple as your other DIY projects, but it sure is worth the effort. Remember to be extra careful about handling the wires and other electrical components. Also, make sure that you check the user’s manual of your new unit for specific instructions on installation.