How To Install A Ceiling Fan Mounting Bracket: DIY Project Worth Your Try
A new ceiling fan in your bedroom improves your sleeping comfort—if it is installed correctly. Otherwise, it will become a distraction or a cause of injury.
Do you want to learn how to install ceiling fan mounting bracket? You’re in the right place.
For Your Safety
It is of importance to observe safety protocols before handling any electrical project. Do not risk the safety of yourself or others at home. Follow these guidelines:
- Make sure that you turn off the circuit breaker box.
- The area where you will install your bracket should be clear and clean.
- Purchase items that are UL approved.
- Read the manual carefully for instructions.
Install Ceiling Fan Mounting Bracket
If you think you need the service of a professional, call in for help. It is better to be safe than sorry.
However, if you are willing to learn ceiling fan bracket installation, we are here to help. Doing this little DIY project will enhance your technical know-how. Plus, you can save money. If you get this right, the next installations should be easy for you.
Things You Need
Prepare the proper tools to get this project done. You can also use these tools when you need to fix your mounting bracket or install and fix your ceiling fan.
If you lack any of the following, borrow from a pal instead of buying new tools.
- crescent or adjustable wrench
- voltage tester
- stripper or wire cutter
- electrical tape
- dust mask
- safety goggles
Let’s proceed to discuss the main topic of this article: how to install ceiling fan bracket.
Follow these steps:
- Put on safety goggles and dust mask.
- Decide where you want to mount your ceiling fan.
- If you are replacing an old fan, you can skip this step. If not, consider areas near power outlets for electric supply. Or, you may utilize a spot with an existing light fixture.
- If you choose to replace an existing light fixture with a ceiling fan, remove the installation properly. Remove the light bulbs; remove the screws; detach plastic wiring connection from the break connection.
- Check for the electric box.
- If it is right above the ceiling joist, you can simply bracket your fan to the joist.
- If the electric box is between two ceiling joists, you need to install a support bar.
- Once the electric box is in place, proceed with assembling the bracket.
- Place the bracket over the spot on your ceiling, then screw it, so it attaches to the wiring box.
- Position the decorative plate over the mounting bracket and attach it using screws or similar materials included in the retail package (example: adhesives, brackets, etc.)
- Install the rest of the fan into your mounting bracket following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test your fan if it works. If it does not, check the wirings and other installation. Make necessary adjustments until your fan operates properly.
How to install ceiling fan mounting bracket will be easier if you have someone to assist you. Once you have successfully installed your ceiling fan, enjoy a good night’s sleep. You deserve it after a day’s DIY work.