How To Fix A Ceiling Fan Chain: The Easy Way
Ceiling fans with light have a pull chain to turn it on and off. It may break eventually due to the many frequent pulls.
How to fix a ceiling fan chain? Read on to learn the easy steps.
How Do I Fix A Broken Pull Chain Switch?
If you notice that your ceiling fan string broke, do not fret. Fix it yourself with a little technical know-how and the right tools.
Before proceeding with the steps below, make sure that you unplug your ceiling fan and switch off its power source. Turn off the main circuit breaker if you are not sure which switch turns off the ceiling fan power source. Do this with any appliance that you need to fix or clean to avoid electric shock and other injuries.
Follow these steps to fix ceiling fan chain:
- Remove the light bulbs, scones, or globes from your ceiling fan. Remove the screws that hold the lighting assembly of your ceiling fan.
- Locate the nut that holds the pull chain switch. Then, unscrew it to access switch.
- Remove the pull chain component. To easily do this, remove all the contents of the switch. Pop off the chain from the disc using a screwdriver.
- Take the broken chain pull chain switch to the hardware store. Match it with a new one. You may opt to buy a longer chain. Consult an employee for a proper replacement if you are not sure which chain to buy.
- Install the new pull chain by snapping it into the disc with your finger. Put back all the contents of the switch, including the new chain and disc.
- Once you have re-assembled the switch, put back the wire nut that you have unscrewed earlier to hold the switch in place.
- Re-assemble the light fixture. Put back the screws that hold them in place. Make sure that the screws are secure.
- Turn on the power source and plug the ceiling fan and test your new pull chain if it works.
What If It Does Not Work?
If your ceiling fan still does not work with a new pull chain, you may need to fix the on/off switch inside the fan.
Follow these easy steps:
- Unplug the ceiling fan and switch off the power source or main circuit breaker to avoid electric shocks.
- Remove the lighting assembly from the ceiling fan. Using a screwdriver, remove the screws that hold it together.
- Pull out the old switch.
- Buy a new replacement. You may take your old switch to the hardware store to find a match.
- Put the new switch into the fan housing, then re-attach the wire nut outside the fixture that will hold the switch in place.
- Re-assemble the light fixture. Make sure that you put back the screws properly.
- Turn the power source on and plug the ceiling fan. Test if your new switch works.
How to fix ceiling fan chain is easy. Your ceiling fan shuld work well after you execute the steps discussed here. When working on broken fixtures, make sure that you observe precautionary measures to avoid injuries. If you think you need assistance, do not hesitate to ask a pal with technical know-how.