How To Change A Ceiling Fan Direction: Updated Guidelines
Whenever we feel the heat, turning on the ceiling fan is the best thing to do. But the power of our ceiling fan is useless against the heat during summer. As a result, it feels like being baked inside the oven even if the fan is on. You can keep the heat away if you know how to change ceiling fan direction! And that’s what you’re going to learn in this article.
Why Change The Fan Direction
Before you know the procedures on how to change ceiling fan direction, know first the positive impact of what you are about to do. Reversing the direction of your fan’s movement will help you get cooler air.
The heat inside your room will be pushed down. Then, the cool air will move up to the ceiling and circulate in your room. Unlike in its original direction, the warm air will rise as the blades turn clockwise then spread in your room. This is the reason why even if you surround yourself with multiple fans, you won’t feel any cooler.
Steps In Changing Ceiling Fan Direction
Here are the steps on how to change ceiling fan direction. Just make sure that your hands aren't wet before you do this, and the circuit breaker is shut to avoid electrocution.
Also, we have provided two different ways to change your fan’s direction. This is because not all ceiling fans are manual, there are now remote operated ceiling fans for home, office, and more.
What you need:
- Safety gloves
Procedure for manual ceiling fans:
- Reach for the motor housing and find the direction switch around the sides
- Some switches aren't visible and placed inside, so if you don't see any, unscrew the fan's housing. Find the hidden direction switch.
- Once you see it, quickly turn it to its opposite direction.
- Note that direction switch differs in position. Some can be adjusted left to right or up and down. What matters is that you turn it in the opposite direction.
- Secure the motor housing by putting back the screws.
- Step down, then turn on the circuit breaker in your house.
- Turn on your ceiling fan and watch it move in a different direction.
Procedure for Modern Ceiling Fans:
- Using your remote, press the stop button
- Your fan should completely stop for you to do the next step.
- Wait patiently because if you change the direction while it is still moving, it can damage your ceiling fan.
- If it is at rest, navigate the reverse button and press it.
Most of us can relate to unbearable summer heat—that feeling when you don't know where to stay or what to do to keep yourself cool. Most of the time, we turn on the ceiling fan to feel more comfortable, but instead, we feel more exhausted.
That's because we need to change the direction of our ceiling fan during the summer. With this method, we feel more relaxed and comfortable indoors.
You can easily achieve this if you follow the tips that we have shared about how to change ceiling fan direction. Now that you have the guide, you too can escape from the sticky feeling from the humid!